Today I bring you an easy recipe for these autumn days with a slightly different flavor we are maybe used to. What comes to the vegetable creamy soups many people use the same ingredients on regular basis: potatoes, carrots, leeks, zucchinis.. We can change the traditional recipes by just adding one or two different ingredients, like I did with this parsnip and turnip creamy soup for autumn.
I am a big fan of vegetable creams/soups and at home we often have for a dinner just a nice warm and creamy vegetable soup with some protein. It is easy to do and you can also have it prepared in the freezer for those days we don´t have time to cook. A vegetable cream/soup is also very light dinner to eat and therefore also a good option for our digestion organs. For this recipe I used five ingredients: potatoes, onions, parsnips, turnips and fresh parsley.
Why these ingredients?
- Parsnip: because they strengthen and improve the energy of the digestive organs, especially the spleen energy, like its cousins, carrots. According to the Chinese medicine, parsnips are said to disperse the wind-dampness of the joints and in these rainy days, nothing better than that. Also, it is a good option when we want to eliminate mucus-dampness in the respiratory system.
- Potatoes: I wanted to use few potatoes to give a little more consistency and more creamy texture but it is true that potatoes also tend to tone the digestive organs due to the sweet taste.
- Onions: I used onions to give more flavour for the cream but as they are spicy and hot in their flavour and nature they are also great now in autumn.
- Turnips: I wanted to use turnips because it´s autumn time and it is good to try to tone the metal and lung element a bit. The turnips have a special mixed flavor of sweet, bitter and spicy and if we use it alone, maybe everyone doesn´t like it. Therefore, I use turnips mixed with other ingredients, like in this recipe. It gives a great touch and people like it more. Turnips are also good for eliminating heat-dampness and improving the blood and energy flow. Also good option to use after respiratory infections or common cold with lot of mucus.
- Parsley: I happened to have lot of fresh parsley at home, but it is also true that parsley is great for our liver (which we always tend to overload with everything), because it cleans and strengthens the blood. In addition, parsley helps us to eliminate mucus, dampness and stagnation in the body as it is warm and spicy.
As you can see, this is an easy recipe and even the smallest one at home ate my cream, which always makes me very happy;)
– 2 potatoes
– 4 medium parsnips
– 4 small turnips
– 1 medium onion
– a parsley
– 1 tbsp coconut oil
– salt, tamari sauce if you want
– to decorate use toasted pumpkin, sesame and sunflower seeds + good quality olive oil.
1. Peel and chop all the ingredients into small pieces.
2. Heat the coconut oil in a big pot.
3. Add the onion, and sauté for a couple of minutes, until the onions are softened.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook for a few minutes until they get some colour.
5. Add enough water to cover the vegetables and season with salt, black pepper and tamari, if you want.
6. Bring to a boil and cook over medium heat for about 20-30minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
7. When the vegetables are cooked, pour about two thirds of the water into a big bowl and set aside.
8. Puree the soup with a hand blender or in a kitchen robot/high speed blender until it´s all creamy.
9. If the cream is too thicky, add more water.
10. Taste and add more spiced if desired. Serve with the toasted seed and little bit of good quality olive oil. Enjoy!